Friday, October 30, 2015

my C+ heart


my teacher asked me to draw a perfect heart,

and gave me instructions about how to stay in the lines...

but the only heart i've ever known is broken, dented and aching.

there's a hole in the center that has been bleeding for 17 years



there's a bruise from that boy in the ninth grade liked 

someone else.

it turned black when i was 15 to match my emotions

there's a piece missing from when you left three months ago.

it shrunk when i gave you my heart and it was left out to die,

it aches every single night, but it somehow pulls itself back 

together while i sleep.



so sorry if its edges are too rough, and the color isn't right. 

sorry if the beats don't match up and it no longer works the same.

i'm sorry if my heart isn't perfect, and it's only worth a C+,

but it's the only heart i know

and i wouldn't take away a single scratch


10 comments:

  1. "and i wouldn't take away a single scratch"

    This says so much. Feels like I've learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every line is so good. I loved this so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how you tied your overall idea of a wounded heart to the specific detail of drawing as a kid in class. I remember my teacher railing on me for not coloring in the lines as well. (most of the kids who colored in the lines lost their creativity by 8th grade anyway). anyway, it was such an innocent detail of your childhood that you now parallel with the sad heart of your teenage years... the comparison is stunning and beautiful and sad. loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the perspective of a C+ heart being okay, and the things that made it a C+ were worth it. SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end.

    And the whole freaking thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your heart's an A+ in my book

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was absolutely incredible.

    "so sorry if its edges are too rough, and the color isn't right.
    sorry if the beats don't match up and it no longer works the same."

    so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang I hate to sound like a broken record but that last part truly is something. You're heart might be a C+ but your mind is an A. Good job! :) I loved this :) #stolen

      Delete